Saudi Arabia/USA/Canada – Reflections from 9/11…Delta Flight 15

The question used to be where were you when Kennedy got shot or what were you doing when Elvis died.  However, today, except for those who are too young, it’s where were you during 9/11.

I was at CIA Headquarters for a final briefing before planning to return to New Delhi, India where I was posted.  My flight was to leave early evening on 12 September.  My son and daughter-in-law had returned from their honeymoon abroad the evening of 10 September.  All too soon, a wonderful visit was coming to an end.  Then, 9/11 struck and it was not for another week before I was able to return to India.  Probably like most people, my life and perspective had changed significantly at that point.  I wanted to do what I could to help make those $%^@# pay for what they did.  Not the nicest of thoughts but they kept me very motivated at the time.

Abdullah and I were an established couple by then.  He was still in Islamabad, Pakistan finishing out his posting there.  We remained in regular contact.  His life and job changed too.  But I’m not going to delve into the politics of 9/11.  Instead, I’d rather share what one group of travelers chose to do in a positive gesture based on their own personal experience of 9/11.

Subject: Delta Flight 15


Here is an amazing story from a flight attendant on Delta Flight 15, written following 9-11:

“On the morning of Tuesday, September 11, we were about 5 hours out of Frankfurt, flying over the North Atlantic. All of a sudden the curtains parted and I was told to go to the cockpit, immediately, to see the captain. As soon as I got there I noticed that the crew had that “All Business” look on their faces. The captain handed me a printed message. It was from Delta’s main office in Atlanta and simply read, “All
airways over the Continental United States are closed to commercial air traffic. Land ASAP at the nearest airport. Advise your destination.”

“No one said a word about what this could mean. We knew it was a serious situation and we needed to find terra firma quickly. The captain determined that the nearest airport was 400 miles behind us in Gander, New Foundland. He requested approval for a route change from the Canadian traffic controller and approval was granted immediately–no questions asked. We found out later, of course, why there was no hesitation in approving our request.

“While the flight crew prepared the airplane for landing, another message arrived from Atlanta telling us about some terrorist activity in the New York area. A few minutes later word came in about the

“We decided to LIE to the passengers while we were still in the air. We told them the plane had a simple instrument problem and that we needed to land at the nearest airport in Gander, New Foundland to have it checked out.

“We promised to give more information after landing in Gander. There was much grumbling among the passengers, but that’s nothing new! Forty minutes later, we landed in Gander. Local time at Gander was 12:30 PM! …. that’s 11:00 AM EST.  

“There were already about 20 other airplanes on the ground from all over the world that had taken this detour on their way to the U.S.  After we parked on the ramp, the captain made the following
announcement: “Ladies and gentlemen, you must be wondering if all these airplanes around us have the same instrument problem as we have. The reality is that we are here for another reason.” Then he went on to explain the little bit we knew about the situation in the U.S. There were loud gasps and stares of disbelief. The captain informed passengers that Ground control in Gander told us to stay put.

“The Canadian Government was in charge of our situation and no one was allowed to get off the aircraft. No one on the ground was allowed to come near any of the air crafts. Only airport police would come around periodically, look us over and go on to the next airplane. In the next hour or so more planes landed and Gander ended up with 53 airplanes from all over the world, 27 of which were U.S. commercial jets.

“Meanwhile, bits of news started to come in over the aircraft radio and for the first time we learned that airplanes were flown into the World Trade Center in New York and into the Pentagon in DC. People were trying to use their cell phones, but were unable to connect due to a different cell system in Canada. Some did get through, but were only able to get to the Canadian operator who would tell them that the lines to the U.S. were either blocked or jammed.

“Sometime in the evening the news filtered to us that the World Trade Center buildings had collapsed and that a fourth hijacking had resulted in a crash. By now the passengers were emotionally and physically
exhausted, not to mention frightened, but everyone stayed amazingly calm. We had only to look out the window at the 52 other stranded aircraft to realize that we were not the only ones in this predicament.

“We had been told earlier that they would be allowing people off the planes one plane at a time. At 6 PM, Gander airport told us that our turn to deplane would be 11 am the next morning. Passengers were not
happy, but they simply resigned themselves to this news without much noise and started to prepare themselves to spend the night on the airplane.

“Gander had promised us medical attention, if needed, water, and lavatory servicing. And they were true to their word. Fortunately we had no medical situations to worry about. We did have a young lady who
was 33 weeks into her pregnancy. We took REALLY good care of her. The night passed without incident despite the uncomfortable sleeping arrangements.

“About 10:30 on the morning of the 12th a convoy of school buses showed up. We got off the plane and were taken to the terminal where we went through Immigration and Customs and then had to register with the Red Cross.

“After that we (the crew) were separated from the passengers and were taken in vans to a small hotel. We had no idea where our passengers were going. We learned from the Red Cross that the town of Gander has a population of 10,400 people and they had about 10,500 passengers to take care of from all the airplanes that were forced into Gander! We were told to just relax at the hotel and we would be contacted when the U.S. airports opened again, but not to expect that call for a while.  ;

“We found out the total scope of the terror back home only after getting to our hotel and turning on the TV, 24 hours after it all started.

“Meanwhile, we had lots of time on our hands and found that the people of Gander were extremely friendly. They started calling us the “plane people.” We enjoyed their hospitality, explored the town of Gander and ended up having a pretty good time.

“Two days later, we got that call and were taken back to the Gander airport. Back on the plane, we were reunited with the passengers and found out what they had been doing for the past two days. What we found out was incredible.

“Gander and all the surrounding communities (within about a 75 Kilometer radius) had closed all high schools, meeting halls, lodges, and any other large gathering places. They converted all these facilities to
mass lodging areas for all the stranded travelers. Some had cots set up, some had mats with sleeping bags and pillows set up.

“ALL the high school students were required to volunteer their time to take care of the “guests.” Our 218 passengers ended up in a town called Lewisporte, about 45 kilometers from Gander where they were put up in a high school. If any women wanted to be in a women-only facility, that was arranged. Families were kept together. All the elderly passengers were taken to private homes.

“Remember that young pregnant lady? She was put up in a private home right across the street from a 24-hour Urgent Care facility. There was a dentist on call and both male and female nurses remained with the crowd for the duration.

“Phone calls and e-mails to the U.S. and around the world were available to everyone once a day. During the day, passengers were offered “Excursion” trips. Some people went on boat cruises of the lakes and
harbors. Some went for hikes in the local forests. Local bakeries stayed open to make fresh bread for the guests. Food was prepared by all the residents and brought to the schools. People were driven to
restaurants of their choice and offered wonderful meals. Everyone was given tokens for local laundry mats to wash their clothes, since luggage was still on the aircraft. In other words, every single need
was met for those stranded travelers.

“Passengers were crying while telling us these stories. Finally, when they were told that U.S. airports had reopened, they were delivered to the airport right on time and without a single passenger missing or
late. The local Red Cross had all the information about the whereabouts of each and every passenger and knew which plane they needed to be on and when all the planes were leaving. They coordinated everything beautifully. It was absolutely incredible.

“When passengers came on board, it was like they had been on a cruise. Everyone knew each other by name. They were swapping stories of their stay, impressing each other with who had the better time. Our flight back to Atlanta looked li ke a chartered party flight. The crew just stayed out of their way. It was mind-boggling. Passengers had totally bonded and were calling each other by their first names, exchanging
phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses.

“And then a very unusual thing happened. One of our passengers approached me and asked if he could make an announcement over the PA system. We never, ever allow that.  But this time was different. I said “of course” and handed him the mike. He picked up the PA and reminded everyone about what they had just gone through in the last few days. He reminded them of the hospitality they had received at the hands of total strangers. He continued by saying that he would like to do something in return for the good folks of Lewisporte.   

“He said he was going to set up a Trust Fund under the name of DELTA 15 (our flight number). The purpose of the trust fund is to provide college scholarships for the high school students of Lewisporte. He
asked for donations of any amount from his fellow travelers. When the paper with donations got back to us with the amounts, names, phone numbers and addresses, the total was for more than $14,000!

“The gentleman, a MD from Virginia, promised to match the donations and to start the administrative work on the scholarship. He also said that he would forward this proposal to Delta Corporate and ask them to donate as well.  As I write this account, the trust fund is at more than $1.5 million and has assisted 134 students in college education.

“I just wanted to share this story because we need good stories right now. It gives me a little bit of hope to know that some people in a far away place were kind to some strangers who literally dropped in on
them. It reminds me how much good there is in the world.”

“In spite of all the rotten things we see going on in today’s world this story confirms that there are still a lot of good and Godly people in the world and when things get bad, they will come forward.

“God Bless America…and the Canadians.”


16 Responses

  1. Umm….there is no story beneath the picture of the Delta airplane….just a whole lot of white space.

  2. @Okie,

    Now I’m confused… even if I visit the blog as a regular user and not the admin I can still see all the text. Is anyone else having this challenge?

  3. What a heartwarming story! Loved it!

  4. Wow, just wow! What a story. How lovely for those passengers to have been feeling so much love when the rest of America was feeling so much hate directed toward us. Thanks for sharing that lovely, lovely story.

  5. I’m glad you had a reasonable stay in Gander. On 9/11, my partner was cycling solo across Canada from Vancouver to Toronto. About 3,400 km. west into his trip in northern Ontario, he stopped in a small town. He walked into bar in the evening and found everyone glued to the tv, watching the newsclips disaster. My partner had just finished cycling 100 kms with his loaded panniers and had no idea previously what happened.

    That’s when he found even the small charter planes in northern Ontario, were ordered by the Canadian federal government to stop flying. Alll planes in Canada. Every plane.

    Carol, on that day I was working for an international accounting firm with headquarters in the U.S. (But I worked for the Canadian national office in Toronto.) Our firm lost 2 employees at the World Trade Centre in NYC. And another employee and his child-son on the plane to the Pentagon.

    In Toronto I was working the financial district. We vacated the buildings by 1:00 pm. There was real fear our area would get hit.

  6. I am one huge goosebump as I am reading this wonderful act of love and how “positive acts” could over balance huge negative and destructive actions! Its absolutely amazing! Typical of American Bedu to share such a blessing! She have been such an inspiration with all that she has shared not only about her live and circumstance but in general too. I will be so honored to one day have the privilege to meet this awesome lady! God bless you!

  7. What an incredible uplifting story. Thanks for sharing it with your many friends and followers.

  8. Beautiful, wonderful story!! Thanks for sharing.

  9. Setting up scholarships is so good, great idea and very useful. that’s a very nice way of repaying someone’s help – education. 🙂

  10. Interesting to read stories about what was going on in the skies to all the planes and people that were not involved that day but were affected by it. This story inspires me to research into it.

  11. Thanks for sharing the story, Carol. I had not heard of the trust fund before so will share this with my friends.

  12. It is beautiful to hear of the kind nature and beautiful hearts of others all around.

  13. I still see nothing but white…no text. 😥 Maybe it’s some kind of iPad issue??

  14. @Okie – I hope you can try on something other than your iPad since others are seeing it okay. I’m sorry you’ve not been able to enjoy it. Let me know if you want me to send you the post in an email.

  15. A very heart warming and mindblowing story!!!!

  16. True love for fellow human beings demonstrated so beautifully! Way to go Canadians!!! There will always be good in this world, sadly we do not highlight it enough, especially in the media.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: